Thursday, August 20, 2015

Day 1- No Turning Back (Looking Back At Our Past)


Wow, it’s day 1 and I’m already hanging my head in shame!


I’m sure almost all of you have heard the expression “You can’t move forward if you’re always looking back”; It certainly is true. While it is wise to learn from past mistakes, we shouldn’t dwell on them and make them an idol in our lives. (Yes, even mistakes can become an idol!)

Your past no longer exists. It is forever gone, covered by the perfect blood of Christ. Isaiah 43:18-19a is a WONDERFUL reminder of what God is doing in us, stating that  we should Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing... (ESV) This is also repeated in the New Testament, in 2 Corinthians 5:17. Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.


The old has passed away. Let that sink in for a moment. We don’t have a reason to keep looking back, because those things are GONE! When we accepted Christ into our lives, believing that He is the true Son of God, all of our sins were covered with His Blood.
Yes, we still do need to repent when we sin, and we need to forgive those who hurt us, but when we forgive, we have to let go. We can’t keep a dead weight around. Holding on to past hurts and grudges will only hinder us from obtaining the magnificent love and rewards our Heavenly Father tries to shower us with.


So today, I want you to take that dead weight, the burden that you’ve kept, and I want you to give it up to God. Right now, release the things in your past that you keep looking back at, and feel His freedom flood into your life. God’s grace is enough to cover it, to release you from it’s hold, and to help you forgive both others and yourself. You must forget what lies behind and strain forward to what lies ahead. (Philippians 3:13- read 14 for extra encouragement!) You can do it, I know you can!
Today, I’m letting go of my recent past choice and deepest regret, and I’m taking on God’s covering of mercy and love.
I will be praying over each of you! Let me know if you have a specific prayer request, down in the comments (:
XOXO, Shelby

1 comment:

  1. "Even mistakes can become an idol" Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete